What Happens When Custodial Parents Need To Move?

As life changes occur, one parent may desire to relocate and move away from the area with a child. Moving out of state with a child from the Los Angeles area usually will affect the custody rights and parenting time of both parents and typically requires a modification of the original court order.

TRABOLSI | LEVY | GABBARD LLP, represents parents who wish to ask for the ability to relocate with the minor child as well as those who object to a proposed relocation. We have handled relocations within Los Angeles and other parts of California, as well as the more complicated scenarios of interstate or international relocation. These cases for moving out of state with a child are often highly contested matters and may require the use of experts, such as child psychologists, to discuss the impact of the move on the kids. Our lawyers help clients understand their rights in these matters and ensure that the interests of the children come first.

What The Court Considers In Relocation Requests

The parent who wants to relocate must demonstrate a legitimate reason, such as a new job, family support or remarriage, and the move must be in the best interests of the child. A parent who opposes the move likewise has a burden to show a detriment to the child or an intent to cut the noncustodial parent out of the picture.

Relocation law and litigation are very complex. Parental relocation defies easy solutions, but our experienced family law attorneys can help negotiate a workable solution for a difficult situation. We help parents put the needs of their children first when moving out of state and work out the compromises necessary to avoid litigation. If the other parent is unreasonable or has impure motives for seeking or challenging a move, we will vigorously assert your arguments and your child's best interests in family court.

How We Can Help You

We work with parents on either side of relocation matters. To meet with one of our lawyers to discuss your case, please call our office at 310-453-6226 or send us an email to arrange your consultation.