The experienced international child custody lawyers at the Los Angeles law firm TRABOLSI | LEVY | GABBARD LLP have handled several complex international custody matters. We are familiar with the technical legal issues, emergency hearings, and government relations commonly involved. We can act swiftly to prevent unauthorized removal, and we know the channels and protocols to bring a child back to California after been kidnapped by the noncustodial parent.
The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction of Oct. 25, 1980, is a multilateral treaty that expressly addresses international abductions and specifies remedies. The goal of the treaty is to provide clear guidance on what should happen if there are issues concerning the custody of the children when the parents live in different countries.
Despite these efforts, there is much red tape in these cases. In some situations, there may be countries that are not covered under the treaty, which will lead to even more confusion about what may happen in a custody dispute.
Some of the various issues that our international child custody lawyers handle in these types of cases include:
- Child abductions
- Wrongful detention (a refusal to return a child to the U.S. after a visitation abroad)
- Legitimate interstate custody disputes under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)
- Asylum cases in which an abused child is kidnapped to the U.S.
- Petitions for international or cross-country parent relocation
- Custody modifications in which parents live in separate states or countries
Consult our International Child Custody Attorneys in Los Angeles
If you believe that your case may have international custody concerns, we encourage you to call our international custody attorneys as soon as possible.